Chernivtsi is one of few Ukrainian cities whose architectural beauty truly stands out. There are 706 sites in the historical part of the city, and 20 of them are of national importance. The first written mention of the city dates back to 1408. Thousands of tourists from Ukraine and abroad flock to the city to fall in love with its sophistication and unique atmosphere.
Today Chernivtsi is an important cultural and academic hub of Ukraine, as well as a political, administrational and religious center of the Chernivtsi Oblast.
The most famous cultural and historical sites of Chernivtsi include:
- The Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans, included into the List of UNESCO
- World Heritage sites
- The Armenian Church
- The Drama Theater opened on 3 October, 1905
- The City Hall
- The Museum of Fine Arts
- Saint Nicholas Wooden Church
- The Holy Spirit Cathedral
- While tourists travel to Chernivtsi to appreciate its beauty, a lot of young people from all over the world come here to study.
Chernivtsi higher education institutions
Higher education institutions of Chernivtsi are represented by universities, institutes, and academies, which accept both Ukrainian and international students. The most popular of them are the following institutions:
- Chernivtsi National Yurii Fedkovych University
- Bukovinian State Medical University
- Bukovyna State Academy of Finance
- Chernivtsi Trade and Economics Institute
Chernivtsi National Yurii Fedkovych University was opened in October 4, 1875 and at the time consisted of only three colleges – law, philosophy and theology. Today Chernivtsi University is a house for 16 departments and a pedagogical college. The university offers 61 majors and is an alma mater for about 13 thousand students. Chernivtsi National Yurii Fedkovych University is Ukraine’s only institution that prepares civilian theologians.
The advantages of studying in Ukraine
The number of international students who decide to get their higher education in Ukraine is constantly growing. This increase can be explained by the following reasons:
- wide implementation of advanced technologies into Ukraine’s educational system, strong teaching staff
- highly requested and promising specialties offered to students
- low admission fee as compared with the CIS, European and North American countries
- the ability to choose the most suitable type of learning process (full-time, part-time and distance learning)//
- flexible terms of entering Ukraine
- no tests and exams are required to enroll in a Ukrainian university
- Comfortable studying and exciting leisure
The cultural life of Chernivtsi is as versatile as the people who live here. The city has a lot of good old traditions brought here by all the different nationalities that used to populate the city. There is a philharmonic society, two theaters, about twenty clubs, cinemas, dozens of museums and libraries. Exceptional calm and comfort of the city are created by numerous parks and public gardens. Both locals and guests of the city enjoy spending time in one of cafes and restaurants of Chernivtsi, offering both authentic Ukrainian dishes and European classics. The welcoming attitude of the locals always makes guests of the city feel at home.